Guardians play a significant role on our “Tour of Honor” flights. They are responsible for helping to ensure every veteran has a safe and memorable experience. Currently each veteran is paired with a guardian. In most cases a guardian is a family member, either a child or grandchild. Spouses or significant others are not eligible to be guardians. When a family member or a friend isn’t available volunteer guardians who have submitted applications are asked.
- You need to pay for your trip. The current cost is $1500 which covers air and land transportation, food, lodging, attraction entrance fees, flight bag, jacket, and t-shirts. Payment isn’t required until you are assigned to a trip.
- If you are a family member of a veteran you must be 16-65 years old. You cannot be a veteran’s spouse or significant other. If you are not a family member, you need to be between 18 -65 years old. Guardians over 65 must get HFCCC Chair approval.
- Your responsibility on the trip is to assist your veteran with whatever they need which may include pushing your veteran in a transport chair up to 7 miles during a single day.
- You must be in good physical health, have good eyesight and hearing and be able to walk, squat, and lift 80lbs.
- 14-7 days before the trip there will be a mandatory Pre-Flight event and training that you must attend in order to go on the trip.
- You will be part of a team along with the other guardians who will help veterans get on and off the bus and help load equipment on and off the bus. You will be part of a “bucket brigade” so you will need to be agile, mobile, able to squat, and able to lift 80 lbs.
For more information, please read Guardian Frequently Asked Questions
Looking to apply as a veteran? Click here.
If you want to be a guardian either for a family member or as a volunteer guardian please submit a Guardian Application.
We recognize that the guardian cost can be a challenge. Guardians frequently reach out to family and friends to contribute to the cost of the trip. We have drafted a message you may want to adapt and use in asking others to help with your trip costs. Note: In cases of extreme hardship we have limited funds available to help defray some costs
HFCCC will keep your application file until you go on a trip. If you want us to delete your application from our system before you go on a trip please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Once you go on a trip, HFCCC will delete your application from our system within 30 days after you return.
HFCCC Board reserves the right to deny any application at the Board’s discretion.